Penny round tiles have been around for centuries, offering a classic and chic look to any space.
These small circular tiles get their name from their resemblance to the size of a penny.
Whether you're planning a remodel or just curious about this timeless tile design, we've got you covered. Let's dive into some common questions about penny round tiles.
What are Penny Round Tiles?
Penny round tiles are small, round pieces of tile that resemble the size and shape of a penny. They are typically arranged in a close, interlocking pattern, creating a surface that has a unique, dotted appearance. These tiles are often used for backsplashes, bathroom floors, shower walls, or feature walls due to their versatility and aesthetic appeal.
What Material are Penny Round Tiles Made Of?
Penny round tiles can be made from a variety of materials, including ceramic, porcelain, glass, marble, and even metal. The choice of material largely depends on where the tiles will be installed. For instance, porcelain and ceramic tiles are great for areas exposed to moisture like bathrooms and kitchens, while glass penny round tiles can add a pop of color and shine to a backsplash or accent wall.
How to Install Penny Round Tiles?
Installing penny round tiles requires precision and patience, but it's not beyond the reach of a competent DIYer. Here’s a simplified procedure:
- Prepare the surface: Ensure the surface is clean, dry, and level.
- Apply adhesive: Use a notched trowel to spread tile adhesive on the surface.
- Place the tiles: Press the penny round tile sheets into the adhesive, ensuring they are evenly spaced.
- Grout the tiles: Once the adhesive is dry, apply grout to fill the spaces between the tiles.
- Clean and seal: Wipe away any excess grout and seal the surface to protect it from moisture and stains.
Remember, always follow the manufacturer's instructions when installing tiles.
How to Clean Penny Round Tiles?
Cleaning penny round tiles depends on the material. For ceramic and porcelain tiles, use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth or sponge. Glass tiles may be cleaned with a glass cleaner or vinegar-water solution. Natural stone tiles like marble require special care – use a stone-safe cleaner and avoid acidic or abrasive cleaning solutions.
Where Can Penny Round Tiles be Used?
The beauty of penny round tiles lies in their versatility. They can be used in virtually any room in your home:
- Kitchen: They make for beautiful backsplashes or as an accent on kitchen walls.
- Bathroom: They're great for shower walls, floors, or as a feature behind the vanity.
- Living areas: Use them on a feature wall or around a fireplace for a stunning effect.